My photo
Lynn Haven, FL, United States
Tammy received her Master of Fine Arts degree in Ceramics from the University of Florida. Currently she is an Associate Professor at Gulf Coast State College. Tammy has also taught at the University of Florida in Gainsville, and abroad at Golden Bridge Pottery in Pondicherry, India, and at the Skopelos Art Foundation in Skopelos, Greece. In addition to maintaining an active teaching schedule, Tammy is a working studio Artist. Her works can be seen at Pendland Gallery, NC, Florida Craftsman, FL, Mary Lou Zeek Gallery, OR, Iota Gallery, TX and at Lillstreet Art Center, IL. Tammy resides in Panama City, Florida with her husband Pavel Amromin and two children Pearl and Ari.

Collaboration - A-ha moment, we fall in love fast!

Me and UP
Lately, I've been interested in the idea of collaborations.  Some of this was sparked at a hands on ceramic workshop that I gave recently. I  thought it would be interesting to ask participates to trade work with one another during the processes of making. I was not interested in the idea of the participant giving up ownership of ones work, but rather having the makers respond to what was in front of them and taking it from there. Perhaps, I thought, this would make the individual see something from a new perspective. Unfortunately this wasn't the most well received idea.  What I observed is that after only twenty minutes of working on an object folks were attached to their project, and few would trade. So my general observation is that we all fall in love fast with our hand made objects, and that we are all saps! Even though I still think there is value to this idea, and I will try it in future workshop settings, what it made me realize is that I really was searching for that interaction and collaboration with other folks. I needed to step outside my comfort zone and make something fun and fresh.

UP's first drawing -book #1


A few years back, I made a bunch of small hand made books and never used them. The books are  pocket size 4 inches by 4 inches, small and intimate. Simple with black cloth cover, all hand bond. Last Christmas, I gave one to my Uncle Paul affectionately called UP.  I grew up with drawings from UP in my home, so it was a natural place to start. He and I have had fun reacting to each other's work. He completes a page or two and then we mail them back and forth, responding to the marks, images or colors. This past year I have given an additional ten books out and only one other has come back to me, I'm excited to start on it.  If anyone is interested in collaborating please let me know and I'll send you a book.


My Response - Gazing Mermen -book #1





Honey Badger Don't Care - UP on left- me on right